SOCIAL MEDIA TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
The Social Media Terms and Conditions of Use (“Policy”) governs interactions by users on company-controlled interactive media, such as websites, blogs, pages, feeds, channels, and other means of interactive communication including, but not limited to, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter (collectively “Company Social Media”). You are accepting this Policy as well as the terms of the social media site by accessing the site, continuing to access the site, or downloading materials from the site (as permitted), so read them carefully. Please be aware that this Policy and the terms of the social media site may be amended from time to time, therefore you should periodically review the current terms and conditions to which you are bound. If you do not agree to abide by this Policy or the terms of the social media site, you should immediately cease use of our page and/or the social media site.
When used in this Policy, “we”, “our”, “company” and “American Equity” means American Equity Investment Life Insurance Company, and “you” and “your” refers to any individual, client, policyholder, agent, company, or entity that uses or otherwise accesses our page on a company-controlled social media site.
We encourage you to participate on Company Social Media with your own experiences, ideas, suggestions and opinions. To keep the discussion appropriate for everyone, we request that you follow these guidelines.
By using Company Social Media, you acknowledge and agree that:
- You have the right to post the content contained in your message and you have obtained any necessary permission and clearances. Furthermore, your post does not infringe upon the proprietary rights of any third party, including but not limited to copyright, patent, trademark, or trade secrets.
- You grant the company an unrestricted, nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sub-licensable right to use the material you post on Company Social Media in any way.
- The materials and information on Company Social Media are provided for general information only. The content on Company Social Media should not be considered tax, legal, financial or other professional advice; it should not be considered a recommendation to purchase an annuity or replace a financial vehicle; and it should not be considered a projection of returns, market gains, or guaranteed growth. Please consult with a licensed insurance agent, independent financial advisor or qualified tax or legal practitioner for professional guidance.
- The company does not validate or verify the accuracy of the assertions or statements made by third parties. All third party statements and viewpoints expressed in the comments are strictly and solely those of the commenter and do not necessarily represent the viewpoints, positions, strategies or opinions of the company.
- Company Social Media may contain links to third-party sites. The inclusion of a link does not imply or constitute sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of the entity linked or its products or services, nor the content of the linked site. We make no warranties of any kind that any link will bring you to the site you intended. You are responsible for confirming the identity and authenticity of any institution you visit and transact business with online. Upon utilizing a link you may become subject to that site’s information collection, use, and sharing policies. You are encouraged to review those policies to ensure you understand them and acknowledge we are not responsible for any damages, real or perceived, that may result from the application of a third-party’s policies or the manner in which they collect, use, or otherwise share visitor information.
- You may not use Company Social Media for commercial endeavors unless prior approval is granted by the company, including but not limited to collecting information concerning the users who post content to or interact with Company Social Media.
- Your contribution does not otherwise violate, or link to materials that violate, any provision of this Policy or any applicable law or regulation.
When using Company Social Media, please do not post the following:
- Forward-looking content or comments related to the company or other companies which speak to investor relations-related responsibilities;
- Content which discloses any confidential or non-public third party information which you do not have permission and/or authority to disclose;
- Content that disparages any person or entity, including the company and any entity affiliated with the company and/or any of their respective products or services;
- Content that violates or infringes the rights of any person or entity including, but not limited to, privacy, publicity and/or intellectual property rights, including the copyrights and brand rights of the company and/or of third parties;
- Content that is hateful, defamatory, slanderous, libelous, threatening, harassing, obscene, intimidating, misleading, or fraudulent, or otherwise improper or in violation of or contrary to laws or regulations, such as those applicable to the company and/or Company Social Media;
- Controversial content created solely for the purpose of generating responses by others, otherwise known as trolling;
- Content that promotes bigotry, racism, sexism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or
- Content that can be perceived as promotion or advertising of third parties or their products or services, content that drives traffic to a third party’s website (including for personal, political or monetary gain), or content that otherwise violates any state or federal laws intended to regulate advertising.
The above list is not exclusive. All decisions regarding whether a posting violates these guidelines will be made by the company, in its sole and absolute discretion. The company reserves the right to remove any posting, whether created by the company, an employee, or a third party, at any time, for any reason, without notice or explanation.
POSTING OF PERSONAL, PRIVATE AND/OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION PROHIBITED
Company Social Media is generally available to the public. The posting of personal, private, and/or confidential information, whether it is applicable to you or another party, such as addresses, telephone numbers, account information, passwords, balances, etc., on any Company Social Media is strictly prohibited and you agree that you will not do so. You agree that you, and not the company, are responsible for any damages that may result from your posting any personal, private, and/or confidential information about yourself or a third party. If you have any doubt whether information in your post could contain personal, private and/or confidential information, do not post it.
Company Social Media are not private or protected sites and can be viewed by members of the public.
American Equity may host a Company Social Media site but we are not affiliated with the social media site. The social media site has its own policies and practices which govern, among other things, your privacy on the site. If you haven’t already done so, please review the policies and practices of the social media site to ensure you understand the principles governing your relationship with the site and its services, such as the site’s content and information collection, use and sharing practices. If you allow certain information to be available on your personal settings on the social media site, American Equity may use this information to understand and improve its site use.
Company specific content on Company Social Media, and the trademarks, service marks and logos contained therein, are owned by or licensed to the company, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under United States and foreign laws and international conventions. Please respect the intellectual property rights of the owner of any materials you post and only post those materials for which you have the appropriate permissions. You agree to not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the materials on Company Social Media other than those expressly permitted by the company, including any use, copying, or distribution of third parties' materials obtained through the site for any commercial purposes.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
THE INFORMATION AND MATERIALS CONTAINED ON A COMPANY-CONTROLLED SOCIAL MEDIA SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS". AMERICAN EQUITY INVESTMENT LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE ACCURACY, ADEQUACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INFORMATION AND MATERIALS AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS INFORMATION AND MATERIALS. AMERICAN EQUITY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR FREEDOM FROM INTERRUPTION, VIRUSES, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. YOU (AND NOT AMERICAN EQUITY) ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION OF ALL EQUIPMENT, DATA, OR OTHER ITEMS YOU USE TO ACCESS THE INFORMATION AND MATERIAL ON A COMPANY-CONTROLLED SOCIAL MEDIA SITE.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
AMERICAN EQUITY MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS AS TO THE ACCURACY OF THE CONTENT ON COMPANY SOCIAL MEDIA. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE, SHALL AMERICAN EQUITY BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, LOSSES OR EXPENSES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, OR THE RESULTS OF USE OF COMPANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR THE MATERIALS OR INFORMATION CONTAINED ON COMPANY SOCIAL MEDIA, EVEN IF AMERICAN EQUITY OR AN AMERICAN EQUITY REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
AMERICAN EQUITY ALSO ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO OR VIRUSES THAT MAY INFECT YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT OR OTHER PROPERTY AS A RESULT OF YOUR ACCESS TO, USE OF, DISCLOSURE OF OR BROWSING OF INFORMATION ON COMPANY SOCIAL MEDIA.
POLICY CONTRACT AND TERMS CONTROL
Regardless of any content, product description, materials or representations provided on any social media site, the terms and conditions of American Equity’s contracts will always control. Any analysis of products is in general terms and is superseded in all respects by the annuity contract and applicable riders. Some of American Equity’s products or product features may not be available in all states or may need to be modified to conform to applicable state law. Some products or product features may have been eliminated or modified since a posting. The issuing, renewal, or cancellation of any insurance policy, policy terms and conditions, and rates are subject to review.
American Equity employees who use Company Social Media are governed by the applicable company policies, such as the company’s social media policy and Code of Conduct and Ethics Policy.
CHANGES TO AND AVAILABILITY OF COMPANY SOCIAL MEDIA
American Equity may change, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of Company Social Media at any time without prior notice.
Company Social Media should not be used to get help about a specific account or product and we will not respond to such inquiries.
To contact us, please visit www.american-equity.com or call us toll-free at (888) 221-1234.
Last Updated April 18, 2018