You work hard. Let your money do the same.
You worked for what you’ve earned. As retirement nears, letting your money work harder for you, while shielding assets from risk, may open new accumulation strategies to help you explore new retirement opportunities.
American Equity’s flagship accumulation fixed index annuity series provides growth-minded opportunities to build your nest egg, without sacrificing any of their premium payments.
There are multiple surrender charge periods to choose from with the AssetShield series, including the 5, 7- and 10-year options. Plus, the AssetShield BONUS 10-year which delivers a premium bonus on first-year payments. All AssetShield options offer ongoing growth potential with the ability to purchase higher crediting rates for a fee with the Performance Rate Rider.
The AssetShield BONUS 10 offers a premium bonus that allows you to put money to work from the start. Credited on all first year premiums, the bonus increases the contract value by 10% of the premium paid. After the first contract year, an increasing percentage of the bonus vests according to the premium bonus vesting schedule.
Premium Bonus Vesting Schedule
The Premium Bonus on first-year premium payments vests over a 10-year period. Beginning year two, 10% of the bonus becomes guaranteed annually until 100% vested at the end of the tenth contract year.
In the event of death, 100% of the bonus is vested as of the contract date and the surviving owner or beneficiary receives the entire contract value. Free withdrawals of up to 10% of the contract value are allowed each contract year beginning in year two. Free withdrawals are not subject to withdrawal charges or bonus vesting.
Allocation Options - Premium Allocations
The initial premium payment can be allocated, in any combination, to either the fixed interest or any of the index strategies.
- Fixed Interest Strategy: A fixed interest rate, set at issue, that is guaranteed for the contract year and can change annually.
- Indexed Crediting Strategies: Interest growth opportunities linked to index performance without being directly invested in stocks or bonds to help keep your money secure.
Payments received after the initial premium automatically go into the fixed interest strategy. The contract values may be reallocated on the contract anniversary between strategies subject to these minimums:
- The minimum allocation for each value is $1,000.
- The minimum transfer to select a new value is 10% of the contract value.
Indexed Crediting Strategies
The AssetShield offers multiple crediting strategy options to choose from based on individual goals and conditions.
- Monthly Point to Point : Interest credits calculated based on monthly changes in the index from point to point in a contract year, and credited annually based on changes in price.
- Annual Point to Point : Each contract anniversary, the index price is compared to the year's previous and credited based on changes in price.
- 2-Year Point to Point : On the contract anniversary at the end of end a two-year term, the index price is compared to the price at the beginning of the term.
- BlackRock® Adaptive US Equity 7% Index: (Ticker BAUSE7X): This index is designed to deliver exposure to BlackRock’s iShares® Core S&P 500® ETF, three fixed income U.S. Treasury iShares® ETFs and a cash component, while adaptively rebalancing daily based on macro conditions.
- S&P 500®: (Ticker: SPX) Consists of 500 leading U.S. stocks and is a common benchmark of the stock market. The S&P® 500 Index is widely regarded as the best single gauge of large-cap U.S. equities.
- S&P 500® Dividend Aristocrats® Daily Risk Control 5% Excess Return Index: (Ticker: SPXD5UE) Volatility control index that consists of the S&P 500 members that have consistently increased dividends every year for at least 25-consecutive years. This index crediting strategy is designed to provide added stability by limiting risk exposure and measuring the market performance on a daily basis using the most consistent, dividend-producing companies on the S&P 500 Index.
Additionally, the Excess Return is the total return of the risk control index minus a risk-free rate. A security that is perceived to be risk free may be considered to carry some degree of risk however, the statistical probability of default is so minute that it is generally/commonly believed to be risk-free. The yield on U.S Treasury securities is considered an example of a risk-free return. such as a 3 month Treasury Bill.
- BofA Destinations Index™: (Ticker: BOFADST5) Designed in collaboration with Bank of America, this exclusive-to-American Equity volatility control index aims to deliver stability and growth in changing market conditions.
- SG Global Sentiment Index: (Ticker: SGIXSENT) A global excess return index that uses 6 cross asset capital market indicators to assess market sentiment and determine whether the market is in a growth, intermediate or shrinking phase. Once the market phase is determined, the index allocates assets across a predetermined global and diverse asset base including ETFs and domestic, European and Asian indices.
- Credit Suisse Tech Edge Index™: (Ticker: CSEATEDG) The excess return index combines 4 U.S. tech- and biotech-focused ETFs and two fixed income components. It utilizes a cutting-edge target volatility control mechanism, powered by Salt Financial, to identify changing market conditions by using a combination of intraday and end-of-day data.
More Control: Performance Rate Rider
The Performance Rate Rider is automatically included for all ages and helps offer more control to magnify growth potential:
- Increase cap, participation rate, or replacement rate on available strategies for more accumulation options that can align with a wide variety of goals
- Locked-in rider fee for control on potential without risk of surprise
- How interest is credited, based on index performance, is determined by the chosen calculation method.
- Replacement Rate : The three highest monthly index changes are replaced with the replacement rate declared at the beginning of each contract year. (Only available on Monthly Point to Point.)
- Cap Rate : The maximum rate to be used in determining any interest credits.
- Participation Rate : Percentage that determines how much of any gain in the index will be credited to the contract.
Our product design allows the opportunity to lock in any interest credited to the contract without risk of losing money when an index decreases, on annual or bi-annual basis.
Access and Liquidity Features
The AssetShield has a number of built in liquidity features and access options for ongoing income security.
- Rate Integrity Rider: This rider allows for a waiver of surrender charges upon termination of the annuity contract. During the waiver election period, American Equity will waive surrender charges if we declare a cap or participation rate for any crediting strategy included in the Rate Integrity Rider that is less than or equal to the surrender charge waiver rate. The surrender charge waiver rate for each crediting strategy is determined at the date of purchase.
- Free Withdrawals: After the first contract year, the opportunity to take annual withdrawals up to 10% of the Contract Value without expense.
- Withdrawal and Surrender Charges: For partial withdrawal or surrender taken during the surrender charge period, a percentage deduction will be taken according to the established withdrawal and surrender charge schedule.
- Contract Maturity: Distribution from the annuity is set to begin at a maturity date established by the owner or specified in the contract.
- Enhanced Benefit Rider – This no-fee rider is automatically included for owners under age 75 at issue and includes both a Qualified Nursing Care and Terminal Illness Benefit.
- Qualified Nursing Care Benefit – After the first contract year, one additional free withdrawal of up to 100% of the contract value is allowed if the owner is confined in a qualified care facility for a minimum of 90 days. Confinement must begin after the contract issue date and written proof is required from both the qualified care facility and recommending physician.
- Terminal Illness Benefit – After the first contract year, one additional free withdrawal of up to 100% of the contract value is allowed if the owner is diagnosed with a terminal illness. Diagnosis must occur after the contract is issued and written proof with supporting documentation is required from a qualified physician.
Annuity contract and riders issued under form series ICC22 BASE-IDX, ICC22 IDX-10-10, ICC22 IDX-10-7, ICC22 IDX-10-5,ICC20 R-ERR, 21 R-ERR, ICC18 E-MPTP-A (Patent Pending), ICC20 E-MPTP-C, ICC20 E-PTP-C, ICC20 E-PTP-PR, ICC18 R-WSC, ICC20 R-EBR, ICC16 R-MVAand state variations thereof. Availability may vary by state.
American Equity contracts are only sold through independent agents. Please contact our home office Agency Services department at (888) 221-1234 option 3, or your state insurance department to see if there is an independent insurance agent in your area appointed to sell American Equity annuity contracts.
Guarantees are based on the financial strength and claims paying ability of American Equity and are not guaranteed by any bank or insured by the FDIC. Surrender charges may apply to excess withdrawals that exceed 10% annual free withdrawal available under the contract. You may be subject to a 10% federal penalty if you make withdrawals before age 59 ½. Market Value Adjustment (MVA) applies to partial withdrawals that exceed the free withdrawal amount allowed and surrenders occurring during the surrender charge period. Possible interest credits for money allocated to an index-linked crediting strategy are based upon performance of the specific index; however, fixed index annuities are not an investment, but an insurance product, and do not directly invest in the stock market or the index itself.
This material is for informational purposes only, and is not a recommendation to buy, sell, hold or rollover any asset. It does not take into account the specific financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, or need of any specific person. In providing this information American Equity Investment Life Insurance Company is not acting as your fiduciary as defined by the Department of Labor. American Equity does not offer legal, investment or tax advice or make recommendations regarding insurance or investment products. Please consult a qualified professional.
Under current tax law, the Internal Revenue Code already provides tax deferral to qualified money, so there is no additional tax benefit obtained by funding a qualified contract, such as an IRA, with an annuity; consider the other benefits provided by an annuity, such as lifetime income and a Death Benefit. Indexed annuities are not stock market investments and do not directly participate in any stock or equity investments. Market indices may not include dividends paid on the underlying stocks, and therefore may not reflect the total return of the underlying stocks; neither an index nor any market-indexed annuity is comparable to a direct investment in the equity markets.
The BlackRock® Adaptive U.S. Equity 7% Index (the “Index”) is a product of BlackRock Index Services, LLC and has been licensed for use by American Equity Investment Life Insurance Company (“American Equity”) as a component of AssetShield (the “Product”). BlackRock®, [Index]™, and the corresponding logos are registered and unregistered trademarks of BlackRock. The Product is not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by BlackRock Index Services, LLC, BlackRock, Inc., or any of its affiliates, or any of their respective third party licensors (including the Index calculation agent, as applicable) (collectively, “BlackRock”). BlackRock has no obligation or liability in connection with the administration or marketing of Product. BlackRock makes no representation or warranty, express or implied, to the owners of the Product or any member of the public regarding the advisability of investing the Product or the ability of the Index to track general market performance. BlackRock does not guarantee the adequacy, accuracy, timeliness, and/or completeness of the Index or any data or communication related thereto nor does it have any liability for any errors, omissions or interruptions of the Index.
The "S&P 500®" is a product of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC (“SPDJI”), and has been licensed for use by American Equity Investment Life Insurance Company (“AEL”). Standard & Poor’s® and S&P® are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC (“S&P”); Dow Jones® is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC (“Dow Jones”). These trademarks have been licensed to SPDJI and sublicensed for certain purposes by AEL. AEL's products are not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by SPDJI, Dow Jones, S&P, or their respective affiliates, and such parties make no representations regarding the advisability of investing in such product(s) and have no liability for any errors, omissions, or interruptions of the S&P.
The BofA Destinations Index™ (the “Index”) has been created and is owned by BofA Securities, Inc. and its Affiliates (collectively, “BofAS”) and the Index has been licensed to American Equity Investment Life Insurance Company® (“American Equity”). Neither American Equity nor any fixed index annuity (“Product”) is sponsored, operated, endorsed, sold or promoted by BofAS. Obligations to make payments under any Products are solely the obligation of American Equity pursuant to the term of the contract between American Equity and a purchaser, and are not the responsibility of BofAS. BofAS indices and related information, the name “BofAS”, and related trademarks, are intellectual property licensed from BofAS, and may not be copied, used, or distributed without BofAS’ prior written approval. The Products have not been passed on as to their legality or suitability, and are not regulated, issued, endorsed, sold, guaranteed, or promoted by BofAS. BOFAS MAKES NO WARRANTIES AND BEARS NO LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THE INDICES, ANY RELATED INFORMATION, ITS TRADEMARKS, OR THE PRODUCT(S) (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, THEIR QUALITY, ACCURACY, SUITABILITY AND/OR COMPLETENESS).
The SG Global Sentiment Index (the “Index”) is the exclusive property of SG Americas Securities, LLC (SG Americas Securities, LLC, together with its affiliates, “Société Générale”). Société Générale has contracted with S&P Opco, LLC (a subsidiary of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC (“S&P”) to maintain and calculate the Index. “SG Americas Securities, LLC”, “SGAS”, “Société Générale”, “SG”, “Société Générale Indices”, “SGI”, and “SG Global Sentiment Index” (collectively, the “Société Générale Marks”) are trademarks or service marks of Société Générale. Société Générale has licensed use of the Index and the Société Générale Marks to American Equity Investment Life Insurance Company (“American Equity”) for use in a fixed indexed annuity offered by American Equity (the “Fixed Indexed Annuity”). Société Générale’s sole contractual relationship with American Equity is to license the Index and the Société Générale Marks to American Equity.
None of Société Générale, S&P, or other third party licensor (collectively, the “Index Parties”) to Société Générale is acting, or has been authorized to act, as an agent of American Equity or has in any way sponsored, promoted, solicited, negotiated, endorsed, offered, sold, issued, supported, structured or priced any Fixed Indexed Annuity or provided investment advice to American Equity, and no Index Party makes any representation whatsoever as to the advisability of purchasing, selling or holding any product linked to the Index, including the Fixed Indexed Annuity. No Index Party shall have any liability with respect to the Fixed Indexed Annuity in which an interest crediting option is based on the Index, and is not liable for any loss relating to the Fixed Indexed Annuity, whether arising directly or indirectly from the use of the Index, its methodology, any Société Générale Mark, or otherwise. Obligations to make payments under the Fixed Indexed Annuities are solely the obligation of American Equity. The selection of the Index as a crediting option under a Fixed Indexed Annuity does not obligate American Equity or Société Générale to invest annuity payments in the components of the Index.
In calculating the performance of the Index, Société Générale deducts a maintenance fee of 0.50% per annum on the level of the Index, and fixed transaction and replication costs, each calculated and deducted on a daily basis. The transaction and replication costs cover, among other things, rebalancing and replication costs. The total amount of transaction and replication costs is not predictable and will depend on a number of factors, including the leverage of the Index, which may be as high as 200%, the performance of the indexes underlying the Index, market conditions and the changes in the market states, among other factors. The transaction and replication costs, which are increased by the Index’s leverage, and the maintenance fee will reduce the potential positive change in the Index and increase the potential negative change in the Index. While the volatility control applied by the Index may result in less fluctuation in rates of return as compared to indices without volatility controls, it may also reduce the overall rate of return as compared to products not subject to volatility controls.
The CS Tech Edge Index™ (“the Index”) and “Credit Suisse”, and any trademarks, service marks and logos related thereto are service marks of Credit Suisse Group AG, Credit Suisse International, or one of their affiliates (collectively, “Credit Suisse”). Credit Suisse has no relationship to American Equity Investment Life Insurance Company (“American Equity”), other than the licensing of the Index and its service marks for use in connection with a fixed indexed annuity offered by American Equity (“the Product”) and is not a party to any transaction contemplated hereby. Credit Suisse shall not be liable for the results obtained by using, investing in, or trading the Product. Credit Suisse has not published or approved this document and accepts no responsibility for its contents or use. Obligations to make payments under the Product are solely the obligation of American Equity and are not the responsibility of Credit Suisse.